Monday, June 23, 2014

the problem with spiritual highs


This past week, I spent a week counseling and volunteering in other ways at a Bible camp up north. This week, I'm spending a few down days in the cities at my grandparents, and this weekend I'm going to spending the weekend at HSLT (high school leadership training.) 

Every since high school started and the weekend retreats/conferences/youth groups started, I've noticed one thing that happens to almost 90% of students - spiritual highs. In my words, I'd say a spiritual high is when you get a little "too" pumped on Jesus. The whole weekend you just are 100% you're going to change your life and you're SO incredibly happy because you love Jesus & Jesus loves you. 

However, just like anything, life is not all lollipops & rainbows. I believe part of the causing for spiritual highs is because for a weekend/week/few days you're away from the real world. You aren't necessarily feeling pain or having hardships because the only thing you're focusing on is JESUS.

Don't get me wrong, I love spiritual highs, but it's afterwards when I come crashing down that absolutely sucks. I tend to get so sad and discouraged and feel so far from Jesus because I wasn't able to stick with him just like I had planned to. One of the things I noticed on both my camp and HSLT sheets were spiritually preparing yourself for the time away. I think one of the most important times in preparing for anything like this is praying for yourself and the people there. We don't want spiritual highs, we want life changing experiences. Your life is not going to change in 1, 2, or even 5 days. Anything good takes time, anything worth while takes time.

Make goals for yourself that are reachable and will encourage you and others to keep searching for Jesus and pursuing a relationship with him away from your spiritual highs.

2 comments:

  1. yes, yes, yes! i recently went to a girl's conference that was absolutely incredible, but one thing I was positive was that it wasn't simply going to be another spiritual high. it's been really hard, but taking the time every day to make an effort to spend quality time with Jesus has been so worth it.
    love, love, love this!

    ReplyDelete