Tuesday, October 13, 2015

how about no?

Heyy-lo to the few people who read my blog.

Today, I have a rant for you. Yesterday, I woke up about 20 minutes before class due to my phone alarm being on silent. This really has no significance to this story but it resulted in me throwing a hat on and not doing my makeup cuz sometimes I just feel lazy and don't feel the need to cover my face in products that make people "beautiful" in todays society.

All day I'm just living my life and then I get to my last class of the day which happens to end at 5:50, which kind of just sucks to be perfectly honest, especially on Fridays. HA. Up till yesterday I thought my teacher was a little crazy but also really nice and genuine. However, I walked into class, she looked at me and said "are you feeling okay today, Kiley?" I laughed because I realized she thought I was sick because of how plain I looked compared to normal "yeah, I feel fine, just woke up late today." She didn't say much...

During her lecture on one of our last speeches coming up, she told us that we really needed to look nice for our speeches. Polished shoes for the guys, a "tie wouldn't hurt" and "girls, put some makeup on if you need it. Paint the shed where it needs painting." UM WHAT.

Literally the amount of people that dropped their jaws in that class was probably... everyone. I have never felt so targeted by this comment in my life. Literally, did you just call me ugly woman?! Did you just tell a class full of young, insecure woman, that we need makeup to look beautiful???

Yes, yes you did. I don't know what you meant by that, or what you meant to say if that wasn't it, but you owe us an apology. On the first day of class, you made a comment saying how you feel insecure teaching sometimes because you feel as though people think you're fat. When you said that, I knew you were an insecure woman. I knew this was going to be a weird class. When you said you didn't have any kids, I understood that you didn't understand the way children/teens/young adults were. When you said we needed makeup to look beautiful, I couldn't even comprehend that someone who is 45+ years old would feel so lead to say this to a group of young students who are literally struggling with themselves every. single. day. Before yesterday, I knew people were like this, but I never ever expected to hear it from one of my teachers. How about wearing your biggest smile, drinking some coffee before class to get you through a 7 minute speech that you'll lose 10 points on if you land on 6:55, how about that?! 

I don't know what happened to you to allow yourself to think that we need makeup to believe we're beautiful, but I'm incredibly disappointed. I'm sorry that somewhere in your life, you felt like you weren't beautiful enough to walk around the way you were made. I'm really sorry, but next time think about what you're saying to your classroom. WHY ARE PEOPLE LIKE THIS? Rant over.

PS. It took everything in me to not write my next persuasive speech on why girls don't need makeup to be beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. geeeez. that is absolutely awful. actually insane. wow.

    ReplyDelete